Familiar Strangers. Future Friends.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

On 4/01/2014 05:40:00 pm by Teens Next Door in    No comments
Some people see only the stranger, but Samantha Rabino looked beyond the "stranger" and saw the future friend. This was what she shared with us.

"So I paid my friend $10 to take a photo. Was on my way home, I saw this cute auntie picking out pieces of paper and drink cans from a trashbin, bent back and hand all the way in the bin and all. And I was just walking, walking and just thinking about how I would feel if I was hunched over a trashbin, hand in it, feeling around among the unworldly space in which we throw all our trash in. And I walked past her. But heck, I turned around haha.

And we had a nice half- hour chat about the pitfalls of life and about kids and how they never seem to care sometimes and about being old and seeing more of the world than everyone else and being sick and not having enough and not BEING, SEEING and FEELING just enough for our liking. And in that moment, I felt like woah- the universe has offered me so much more than I deserve and I still yearn for more when some people have much less than they are entitled to.

But one thing most of us still have is time and well, treasure it, I guess. Thanks for reading."

We commend Samantha's courage to take the first step to befriending someone, and her compassion to help a stranger, even if it was just a small deed. Most people would pay $10 for a photo with a celebrity, but Samantha "paid $10" for this photo with the auntie to help her in the little way she could. She has inspired us to take the first step in starting conversations with other people in our society today.Would you pay $10 for a photo just to help someone you barely know?


0 comments:

Post a Comment